Friday, April 18, 2014

April 7th-11th

     Monday
     This was another rough day to start off an interesting week. After the run around I had to go through last week getting my vehicles dispatched, I was hoping this week would be a little easier. No such luck. Maj L was a giant pain in my ass again and even though I gave him the dispatches at 0930 and told them we needed them asap in order to go pick up parts for our vehicles, he seemed to have other stuff going on. I checked into his office at least 5 times and he either wasn't there or said the dispatches weren't ready. By the time he finally got to them it was 1530 and we'd lost most of a day of work on our vehicles. I liked Maj L in the beginning but since he was on his way out of his unit I think he'd checked out. Thankfully his replacement Maj C seems eager to work with me.
     In the middle of the day I had to attend the S-3 sync meeting because Cpt B had to run an errand. I was a little nervous when I walked in because the room was full of Lieutenant Colonels and Majors. I was lowest ranking one there. I only had to talk for one slide, so I wasn't too scared about that. Then when it came to me, someone else covered it before I had a chance to say anything. So I basically sat in an hour and a half long meeting for nothing. Army life.

     Tuesday
     This was a very interesting day to say the least. I woke up my normal time for PT around 0520. I left my house at 0540. I was on the highway to base at around 0550. I live 4 miles away from the main entrance to Ft. Hood. I did not even get through the gate until 0830. It was bumper to bumper traffic the entire way. 1 in every 3 cars had to stop at the gate, the driver had to get out open their hood, trunk, all other compartments and all their doors and have it checked. All of this was because of the President coming in for the shooting memorial Wednesday. So I missed PT due to traffic and was only in my office about 10 minutes before I had to go home and change into ACU's for work.
     Because of the horrible traffic jams I wasn't able to get much work done because it took so long to get around base. The memorial was throwing off a lot of stuff for the week. I drove by 3 Corp Headquarters building, here the memorial would take place. I saw some kind of wall had been put up overnight. As I got closer I saw that the wall was built out of shipping containers. I found out later that they were stacked 3 containers high and 2 containers deep. All because of the Presidents visit. Crazy.
     Wednesday
     Most of the base had the day off due to the invite-only shooting memorial. Plus all the gates to base were closed for a 4 hour period so it was almost impossible to get on base anyways when you added in the heightened security.
     Thursday
     I didn't really record anything interesting happening this day. I'm pretty sure I just sat in my office sending emails and doing paperwork. Nothing too special.
     Friday
     Nothing super exciting happened this day either. Hard to write down interesting stuff happening when the unit does no training. Only notable thing was I had to give the safety brief at final formation because Cpt B and CSM T were both gone. Pretty much the same you give out in ROTC. Don't drink and drive, do drugs, or be a dumbass but in a lot more words.

No comments:

Post a Comment